Monday, February 6, 2012

3-2-1-Move!

Hello, readers!  If you’re wondering why it’s been a while since you’ve heard from us, one reason is that I recently got a new primary email address and blogspot won’t let me switch to the new email address, so in order to write new posts, I have to log out of new primary email address, log into old one, write post, and then log out of old one and back into new primary and it’s just a bit more hassle than I’m used to.  

This is the other reason: 


This is what ninety-two unfluffed tissue paper pom-poms look like.  My spellcheck says “unfluffed” is not a word but I think it is a word.  Anyway, each one takes 10-15 minutes to make.  That’s nearly twenty-four hours of counting sheets, meticulously folding, measuring, cutting, and twisting wire, and rounding ends.  I may never make another one again.  We’ll see.

In other news, we have begun to prepare for the move!  We’re planning on leaving in about four weeks.  I started packing up some things about two weeks ago, due to excitement more than necessity.  My mind is now occupied with timing the consumption and usage of food, laundry detergent, toilet paper, lotion, etc. so that we can use it up right before we leave, then have that many fewer things to pack and move.  It’s kind of a fun little game.  Also, I gave my spatial reasoning skills a thorough workout last week by seeing how efficiently I could arrange our books into  boxes.  It’s nice to have the luxury of packing gradually and just work on a few things everyday.  Also, I have to paint the walls back to their original white, blah.  White and I have a love/hate relationship: I love it in appliances, cabinets, and furniture, but not so much on walls.

And what is Caleb doing to help with the move, you ask?  Well, he has to handle all the paperwork of out-processing from this base(which is really extensive!), he’s been working on selling the two older cars, and last week he went to California for some house-hunting! You all probably know that buying a house is less fun than I thought it would be.  We’ll keep you posted.  Suffice it to say that we’ll eventually end up in one of the nice homes that we’ve been looking at.

Then, for the next month, while I’m packing and painting with glee(in earnest!), Caleb will head to practically Canada for survival training, which everyone who gets in a military aircraft attends.  As far as I can tell,  they teach them how to wander around the woods, then they wander around the woods and start fires from rubbing sticks together and eat rabbits and try to evade capture.  Then in the end everyone gets “captured” and they simulate being a prisoner of war.  I won’t go into further details but it’s pretty intense.  Caleb says it’s no big deal.

Wanted to leave you with what I consider to be a funny picture, en-captioned: “In Mississippi, January showers bring February flowers.”  Quite different from what most of us are used to.

2 comments:

  1. We'll be praying for Caleb's survival training, that it truly is no big deal!

    Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops! I wrote a whole long comment. Don't know why just my last sentence made it to print! Here is the rest of it:

    Pretty flowers! I am impressed with all your work on the pompoms so far! I saw there was a place to order them already made to this point, when I was researching them for possible use at a Valentine's dinner at our church.

    Happy packing and painting!

    Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete