Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Half-Hearted Foodie

So I am not a person that you would refer to as a “foodie”.  If I could avoid the effort of grocery shopping, cooking, taking the time to eat, and trying to maintain the balance between tasty and healthy by just taking a pill a day that would fulfill all my dietary requirements, I would.  That being said, here are a few recipes that we’ve very much enjoyed in recent months! They make even a non-foodie a little bit of a foodie and they are pretty simple and healthy.  You should try them.  Click on the recipe titles to go to realsimple.com and see the recipes!
Grilled Chicken and Corn Avocado Salad
I’m a big fan any time one recipe includes protein and vegetables.  I left out the avocado because I have very childish taste buds and used the parmesan cheese that comes in a plastic container and it was still amazing!
Chicken Caprese Sandwich
Quick, easy and delicious, especially with all the fantastic summer tomatoes available these days!  I just started branching into eating fresh tomatoes a year or two again but now I’m starting to really like them! 
Rosemary, Lemon, and Garlic Roast Chicken
I love a roast chicken because it makes a great presentation but is actually incredibly easy.  I just follow the directions and it turns out nice and juicy and has great flavor.  Cleaning out the uncooked chicken does make me gag so I have Caleb do that part but roasting chickens are so cheap(I’ve gotten ours for $3-4) and leave enough left over for a few sandwiches that’s it’s worth it.
Tomato Parmesan Basil Rice
Saving the best for last!  I am mildly obsessed with this quick easy and absolutely delicious side dish!  Again, I don’t spring for fresh grated Parmesan and I confess I’ve been using Minute Rice because it’s just so much faster.  Tomato, basil, and parmesan is a flawless combination! 
In other news, Caleb installed an antenna in our attic so we now have access to the major networks and we’ve been enjoying watching America’s Got Talent.  Reminds me of watching American Idol back when it was good with my cousin Jane.  :-)

Also, tomorrow,weather-permitting, Caleb is scheduled for his first solo ride in the T-38!  Maybe I’ll have him vividly describe the experience afterwards.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. This food looks delicious! Doesn't look like you're a non-foodie to me! Hope Caleb's solo went well.

    ReplyDelete